Saturday, September 11, 2010

Lexi's Birthday Cake




When asked what she would like on her birthday cake this year, Lexi said she wanted a purple butterfly. I thought I needed to come up with something a little better than 1 lone purple butterfly so this is what I did. I remembered seeing the cake recipe on MckMama's food blog so I successfully hunted it down. Super easy, just time consuming. But basically 2 boxes of white cake mix and food coloring. I skimped on the powdered sugar for the frosting recipe and I shouldn't have. (I was running out of room in the mixing bowl and didn't want my kitchen dusted in confectioner's sugar.) In hindsight, the extra sugar would have made the frosting slightly thicker. The cake started to droop and sag and cutting it was a disaster, the thicker frosting would have definitely helped to keep it together. Also, I took the cake out of the fridge to display it and I should have kept it cold until the big "make a wish" moment. The warmer it got, the saggier it became. I bought pre~made Wilton's fondant at Michael's in their cake decorating section. Making the butterflies and little balls from the fondant was super easy. I used a cookie cutter for the butterflies and had the kids (wash their hands) and then roll out the little balls like tiny snowmen body parts:) I also used a small paint brush to brush edible lavender sparkle dust on the butterflies. For the balls, I kneaded in some purple food coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment