Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Nothing Says Fall Like Homemade Applesauce

When I did my student teaching, the teacher I was working with had a ton of fun fall activities to do with the students. One math activity we did involved apples and graphs (what's your favorite apple: red, yellow, or green?) Then we cut up all the apples, added some water and sugar and voila! Applesauce for our afternoon snack. I've added a few more ingredients so that the sauce tastes more like apple pie without the crust! I love making this on a rainy fall day. By the time I'm done my whole house smells like baking apples and spices. Yum!
8-10 large apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (you can add more to make a sweeter sauce)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tblsp butter
Place ingredients in a crock pot and simmer on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment